YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

The topsail tied to the topmast hoops:
1044 Topsail.jpg
Measured the length of ropes for the sheets and the tacks and secured at the side and at an bottom.

Then fold the sail:
1045 Topsail.jpg
First lowered the hoops and fold the sail between them in zig-zag. Then pulled together with the help of the clewline.
Then further folded up and tied together with the binding string.

Before I could secure the sail to the mast, I first had to install the small spreader lifts:
1046 Topsail.jpg
They hang between the eyes on the top band and the spreader bars and each has 6 ratlines.
Then tied the sail to the mast.
The sheetcorner of the sail protrudes slightly. The port sheet will go straight down. The starboard sheet runs first over the main topmast stay and then down.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
That looks like the way I fold a fitted bed sheet ROTF

Just kidding, great work on the sails Peter. A brave decision to go for the furled option, it worked a treat.

You also get to show us all your sewing skills as well now Thumbsup

The topsail tied to the topmast hoops:
View attachment 351281
Measured the length of ropes for the sheets and the tacks and secured at the side and at an bottom.

Then fold the sail:
View attachment 351282
First lowered the hoops and fold the sail between them in zig-zag. Then pulled together with the help of the clewline.
Then further folded up and tied together with the binding string.

Before I could secure the sail to the mast, I first had to install the small spreader lifts:
View attachment 351283
They hang between the eyes on the top band and the spreader bars and each has 6 ratlines.
Then tied the sail to the mast.
The sheetcorner of the sail protrudes slightly. The port sheet will go straight down. The starboard sheet runs first over the main topmast stay and then down.
Regards, Peter
I'm afraid I'll have to stop responding to your posts; a long time ago I ran out of superlatives. Again and again I'm trying to convince myself you're not a professional builder, your work is simply stunning.
What I did notice though (and already discussed with you through whatsapp this morning) are that the inner shrouds of spreader lifts run to the top of the lower front mast, instead of what I expected to the top of the top front mast. I was led astray by a) the Saga and b) pictures of the Bluenose II/III (the Saga obviously describes the BNII, so that should not be surprising).
I did find an old picture of the BNI, suggesting that your configuration is correct (this topic was evidently already covered by @Dean62).
The only thing is I still don't fully understand the reason why...

The red arrow pointing to the upper attachment of the spreader lifts (BNI), whereas the blue arrow points to where I thought they should attach to the top front mast (BNII).
013055DC-B86A-4DA3-8EDC-303E0B68D9B4.jpeg

It's not easy to discern, but in this picture it's evident the Bluenose I had the spreader lifts attached to the top of the lower front mast.
1F752E83-94E5-4526-B1CB-91E7B6FB2F4B.jpeg

PS None of the pictures are mine.

Not to mention the folders trying to not fall off.
Thanks for pointing, Alf. Very good to bring that up. Just an example in a moment .......
I'm afraid I'll have to stop responding to your posts; a long time ago I ran out of superlatives. Again and again I'm trying to convince myself you're not a professional builder, your work is simply stunning.
What I did notice though (and already discussed with you through whatsapp this morning) are that the inner shrouds of spreader lifts run to the top of the lower front mast, instead of what I expected to the top of the top front mast. I was led astray by a) the Saga and b) pictures of the Bluenose II/III (the Saga obviously describes the BNII, so that should not be surprising).
I did find an old picture of the BNI, suggesting that your configuration is correct (this topic was evidently already covered by @Dean62).
The only thing is I still don't fully understand the reason why...

The red arrow pointing to the upper attachment of the spreader lifts (BNI), whereas the blue arrow points to where I thought they should attach to the top front mast (BNII).
View attachment 351736

It's not easy to discern, but in this picture it's evident the Bluenose I had the spreader lifts attached to the top of the lower front mast.
View attachment 351737

PS None of the pictures are mine.
Nice from you, Johan, to post an answer on our conversation this morning. I was also making one, because one of the found photos also showed an example of Alf's reply.

With the topmast shrouds I was following the drawings of MS/Lankford, as Dean @Dean62 also showed in his build-log:
1048 Lift.jpg
With the difference between the main- and the foremast.
And some picture I had collected from the NovaScotia Archives:
1047 Lift.jpg
Left: a crew member balancing on the spreaders of the foremast (blue arrow). I am not sure it's also one standing in the mainmast. But on the mainmast (yellow arrow) ....... also a spreader lift :oops:
Middle and Right: Both pictures from almost the same point of view with the spreader lift on the foremast.
So ..... Arguably, the original Bluenose has some changes here as well.
But at the foremast I have not (yet) found a picture with topmast shrouds. Only on BN-II pictures.
And the why ......? Maybe because the top of the Fisherman's Stay Sail is attached to the main topmast with more wind pressure on that topmast and the front only to the masthead of the front lower mast?
1673866826860.png
I have seen a picture of a schooner with a broken topmost, but I am not sure on which schooner.
It remains interesting to dive into the history of the BN. With again and again items that are open to interpretation.
I'm afraid I'll have to stop responding to your posts;
And ......... you and the others: keep on posting, asking, pointing etc etc. :)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
That looks like the way I fold a fitted bed sheet ROTF

Just kidding, great work on the sails Peter. A brave decision to go for the furled option, it worked a treat.

You also get to show us all your sewing skills as well now Thumbsup
Thanks Mark. Only with the tissue layer, no sewing. It's to fragile for that.
I glued a thread on the sides and fold the edges over the glued thread:
1673867145512.png
For the rest I tied the other lines around that tiny black threads to have 'some meat' to hold them and would not tear out.
Regards, Peter

Started making the claw on the gaff for the foresail:
1049 Gaff.jpg
This claws also run slightly curved upwards. In the hoisted position, the gaff is slanted and due to the curvature the claw need to be less long.
The parts are mutually connected with 3 0.5mm/.02" brass pins.
And the clapper is also hinged at the same time.

This is how it will soon be on the mast:
1050 Gaff.jpg
Now the rest of the bands, eyes, chocks etc
Gr. Peter

Last edited:
You are the master of small scale sails and rigging Peter, just phenomenal.
Think I will keep to 1:48 and up :cool:
Thanks, Maarten.
For the most part, it remains to try and hope that things will work out. Which fortunately still gives a satisfactory result.

For general information:
I'm already thinking about the 3 front staysails. That's a different cake. Lots of little rings that are on the fronts of the sails and have to slide over the stays.
After making the foresail and attaching it to the mast with the boom and gaff, I'm not going to fully secure the foremast like I did with the mainmast. Certainly not yet with all the stays.
That means that I also have to make those staysails ready with boom, halliads, tacks, sheets, etc. To get the stays through all those rings and then secure them.
Usually you want to finish something, place it and then move on to the next thing. Not now .......
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Maarten.
For the most part, it remains to try and hope that things will work out. Which fortunately still gives a satisfactory result.

For general information:
I'm already thinking about the 3 front staysails. That's a different cake. Lots of little rings that are on the fronts of the sails and have to slide over the stays.
After making the foresail and attaching it to the mast with the boom and gaff, I'm not going to fully secure the foremast like I did with the mainmast. Certainly not yet with all the stays.
That means that I also have to make those staysails ready with boom, halliads, tacks, sheets, etc. To get the stays through all those rings and then secure them.
Usually you want to finish something, place it and then move on to the next thing. Not now .......
Regards, Pete
Peter, were they actually rings or might they have been those U-shaped hook-thingies with a bent "hook" on each leg of the U. At this moment I can't remember what those were called. In any event if you care to look into those, a guy in Czechoslovakia (HIS Models) makes and sells photo etch sheets of those thingies. I have a sheet for my Revell America and think they are pretty nice.

Peter, were they actually rings or might they have been those U-shaped hook-thingies with a bent "hook" on each leg of the U. At this moment I can't remember what those were called. In any event if you care to look into those, a guy in Czechoslovakia (HIS Models) makes and sells photo etch sheets of those thingies. I have a sheet for my Revell America and think they are pretty nice.
Hi Alf. Thanks for pointing, I know what you mean. I have seen the ‘hanks’ in The Saga pag. 33 as a kind of ‘halve moon mast hoops’ for rigging a Triangular Storm- or Riding sail. And the smaler ones on dif. pages for the jib sails.
Chapelle shows this ‘Horseshoe’ hanks on page 507, with a inside diameter of 4 1/8”. That’s in 1:72 1.45mm.
When you use them, you have to tie them on both sides: each sail +/- 25 hanks x 3.
This is the link to the parts by HiSModel:
The inside hole for the rope diameter on this hanks is 2mm. I had rings of +/- 1mm diameter in mind to make them myself. And I furl the jib sails also. I'm not sure yet if this hanks with all the double ties are an added value in this way. But I will order some to look and compare. I found also some other parts I can use.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back