YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanxs, Heinrich. These are much appreciated comments. Indeed very busy today, with special for you in this reply on your post:

The last contribution for today.
After the ink has dried, time for the linseed oil. When that was also dry, this showed up:
View attachment 292690

Also taken outside for the 'exploded-view':
View attachment 292691

The profile of the section above the waterline:
View attachment 292692
Not very clear in the photo, but the treenails also shine through here. Mission accomplished.:)

Some extra attention to the stern. We already had some discussion about planking the stern first and then the planking of the hull. And I just did it the other way around.
I came across some pictures of the BN-II and the original BN. Especially with the old ones they show a solid edge around the stern face. Would they then.......
View attachment 292693
That's why at my stern on the natural starboard side a heavy edge over the side of the stern planks.
A little stubborn is okay with me. Otherwise ...... AL-FI.
For now, I sit back, rest and enjoy the view on my BN. :)
Regards, Peter
Marvelous, just marvelous...

Your hull is looking great - I am happy, that you had also a good experience with the ecoline colours
You haven chosen the correct "red" for this purpose
I am a big fan of your model and hope to see it once in real

Your hull is looking great - I am happy, that you had also a good experience with the ecoline colours
You haven chosen the correct "red" for this purpose
I am a big fan of your model and hope to see it once in real
Thanxs, Uwe. I appreciate it very much. The Ecoline, but also the Aero Color, are a eye opener.:oops: Especially if you want to keep seeing the wood structure. The BN is not a racing yacht with a polyester or metal hull.;)
I also hope to see this year you and/or other builders with there models.
Regards, Peter

The warthog finally has its load complete:
View attachment 292131
Almost 2500 screwed in on this side.......

Before I can sand this side of the hull smooth, I first applied the waterline strip:
View attachment 292132
This protrudes slightly over the edge and will be sanded into shape.

Now that the seam is filled, I can adjust the seam:
View attachment 292133
I had to put a small insert in 2 places. They'll go with the sanding soon.
Regards, Peter
This remains a fascinating build Peter. I can't wait to see the finished product of course, but the journey there is a privilege to observe Thumbsup

Thanxs, Heinrich. These are much appreciated comments. Indeed very busy today, with special for you in this reply on your post:

The last contribution for today.
After the ink has dried, time for the linseed oil. When that was also dry, this showed up:
View attachment 292690

Also taken outside for the 'exploded-view':
View attachment 292691

The profile of the section above the waterline:
View attachment 292692
Not very clear in the photo, but the treenails also shine through here. Mission accomplished.:)

Some extra attention to the stern. We already had some discussion about planking the stern first and then the planking of the hull. And I just did it the other way around.
I came across some pictures of the BN-II and the original BN. Especially with the old ones they show a solid edge around the stern face. Would they then.......
View attachment 292693
That's why at my stern on the natural starboard side a heavy edge over the side of the stern planks.
A little stubborn is okay with me. Otherwise ...... AL-FI.
For now, I sit back, rest and enjoy the view on my BN. :)
Regards, Peter
Absolutely superb, the recognisable Bluenose is starting to emerge :)

Fantastic work Peter,
She looks just perfect.
Thanxs, Maarten. Thanks to your posts, and the others who start using, I was drawn to the use of this 2 kinds of ink. Sometimes the Ecoline works fine, but the Aero Color also. With the accent differences and color tones.
You have to be very aware of the acting properties. Therefore: making tests is important.
Regards, Peter

Remarkable work Peter Thumbsup
This remains a fascinating build Peter. I can't wait to see the finished product of course, but the journey there is a privilege to observe Thumbsup
Now it's coming to life!
Absolutely superb, the recognisable Bluenose is starting to emerge :)
Thanxs, Mark, for sharing my journey through my panking, sawing and painting adventure.
I really appriciated this!
Regards, Peter

Because I can still easily put the model on its back, I first made the rudder.
If you mount the rudder as shown in YQ's drawing, there is a problem:
645 Rudder.jpg
The steering mechanism provides rotational movement around the center of the rudder shaft. The rudder hinges on the YQ design lie outside the rudder blade. As a result, the rudder would not turn but a swinging movement.

In Chapelle's book it is stated on pag. 595 a nice detail drawing of a rudder:
646 Rudder.jpg
With the details mentioned in the text to the drawing:
-This type of rudder had a round stock from its head down to the upper pintle;
-The blade was formed of four or five planks, edge-bolted together and to the stock;
-The center line of tyhe pintles lined up with that of the stock;
-There were three sets of rudder braces ("pintles" and "gudgeons") equally spaces;
-The straps of these were let in flush into the blade but not into the sternpost;
-The rudder lock, which prevented the rudder lifting and unshipping was a block of wood under the middle brace.

Getting started with the YQ rudder:
647 Rudder.jpg
-centre line of the rudder stock extended and the blade sanded tapered;
-position of the hinges determined, both on the blade and on the keel;
-the rudder stock is visually extended to the 1st hinge;
-a hole drilled in the hinge parts of the rudder and pins made of spring steel 0.5 mm;
-recesses made to be able to take out the hinge;
-the pivot pins aligned to the center of the rudder stock;
-5 stirring boards drawn and assembled at the front and back with pins;
-the rudder is tapered to the rear;
-the top of the rudder stock is nibbling finished with a center pin, just like the masts.

The port side of the rudder in the red Ecoline and after drying the whole rudder in the linseed oil:
648 Rudder.jpg
I can take the rudder off. This is also necessary if I want to disassemble or assemble both hull parts. That goes upright. That wouldn't be possible with a locked rudder.
I have yet to see if I will align the now protruding toe of the keel beam with the rudder. YQ had therefore designed the rudder further out. Then the line would continue.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back