YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I prefer the darker wood, somehow it lends more character to your model.
If you are going for accuracy, I believe it was a lighter reddish brown. Of course it all depends on if Peter wants to take any liberties, or strictly adhere to what the ship had originally. Thus far he is following the history with accuracy, no liberties that I am aware of. ;)
Thanxs for the input, Mates.
The light Maple strip along the side of the test sheet may give a distorted picture of how the red Beech will draw against the gray watercourse. Whether or not in combination with the light reflection from the white bulwark. That's why I modified the sheet a bit:
656 DeckTest.jpg
Shows differently and in my opinion in a positive direction.
3 different directions of light incidence shows a different image.
Inserting the planks into the beech wood is also no problem. Will be a bit tighter, because I have now glued on the papersheet.
The 'dark accents' in the wood are now clearly visible. But this is a detail of less than 10 cm. I don't see that as a problem from a distance.
Regards, Peter

Always difficult to talk about colours. So I look to the structure of the wood and the scale. To big grain in the wood don't look natural on a little scale. Especially for a deck which will be smoother than the hull. So I would go for the lighter look. But the darker look is looking better for the colour in my opinion. Maybe use another wood to do it. Maybe cherry wood. This is darker and the grain is much smaller. The deck of my PW is made of cherry, you can compare.

Always difficult to talk about colours. So I look to the structure of the wood and the scale. To big grain in the wood don't look natural on a little scale. Especially for a deck which will be smoother than the hull. So I would go for the lighter look. But the darker look is looking better for the colour in my opinion. Maybe use another wood to do it. Maybe cherry wood. This is darker and the grain is much smaller. The deck of my PW is made of cherry, you can compare.
I used Ramin, it has a tight wood grain that looks correct at scale. It’s a light wood and stains well. I don’t care for the beechwood wood grain, especially if it is not running parallel to the boards.
Here is a picture of the Ramin…
C13B5A14-4397-4D50-AB59-F0D798325D44.jpeg

Last edited:
Final thought on wood for decks…light wood can be stained to be light, medium or dark. Dark wood can only get darker! That’s why I prefer to start with a light wood, it gives you more flexibility. ;)
Kolderstok's Abachi.
Thanxs, guys. I think the structure in the wood is indeed to much.
@Heinrich : on the site from Kolderstok I find no loose wooden planks.
@Kolderstok : Is that correct, Hans?

Just read in Witch in the Wind: "A deck of clear pine planks ......". What comes close to that?
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanxs, guys. I think the structure in the wood is indeed to much.
@Heinrich : on the site from Kolderstok I find no loose wooden planks.
@Kolderstok : Is that correct, Hans?

Just read in Witch in the Wind: "A deck of clear pine planks ......". What comes close to that?
Regards, Peter
That is why I chose Ramin...looks like small scale pine.

Back