YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Kolderstok's Abachi is available in loose planks as are all planks that Hans uses in his models plus some more! Whether it is shown on the website or not, Hans will help you. Because the wood is light in color, stains and oils will give you any effect that you want.

Kolderstok's Abachi is available in loose planks as are all planks that Hans uses in his models plus some more! Whether it is shown on the website or not, Hans will help you. Because the wood is light in color, stains and oils will give you any effect that you want.
Thanxs, Heinrich. Henk will send me some parts, so I can see and feel it myself before I make a decision.

Most likely too late for my opinion, but between those two neither one is in my personal taste, However, the lighter wood would probably be OK if you have intended to stain. Te dark timber is very high in grain, though. For my taste, I would use a natural Pearwood (even without staining), It has a very nice cream color. But...this is only my personal taste...;)

@Kolderstok : Is that correct, Hans?
Yes - correct. I don't mention the single planks on the website. It is my intention to do so once, but given the number of dimensions and sorts of wood it takes a lot of time before everything is listed. So a simple message with the type of wood you want plus the dimensions goes a bit quicker.
In light colour I have abachi (often used for decks), basswood (maybe to yellow?) or light beachwood.
Pear goes more in the pink/orange direction.
I also have light oak, but this is not suited for a deck.
Ramin is difficult to get as it is a protected type of wood.
Pine is easier to get, but this can become quite orange due to UV-light.

Hans

Most likely too late for my opinion, but between those two neither one is in my personal taste, However, the lighter wood would probably be OK if you have intended to stain. Te dark timber is very high in grain, though. For my taste, I would use a natural Pearwood (even without staining), It has a very nice cream color. But...this is only my personal taste...;)
Thanxs for your input, Jim. Much appreciated.
Regards, Pete

Yes - correct. I don't mention the single planks on the website. It is my intention to do so once, but given the number of dimensions and sorts of wood it takes a lot of time before everything is listed. So a simple message with the type of wood you want plus the dimensions goes a bit quicker.
In light colour I have abachi (often used for decks), basswood (maybe to yellow?) or light beachwood.
Pear goes more in the pink/orange direction.
I also have light oak, but this is not suited for a deck.
Ramin is difficult to get as it is a protected type of wood.
Pine is easier to get, but this can become quite orange due to UV-light.

Hans
Thanxs for the PM and e-mail contact, Hans.

For the others: Hans showed me a piece of Beech what looks very nice. I ordered some parts of that and can saw that myself in 2.5 mm slats.
So, soon new tests with Ramin, Beech and some parts Abachi. But I don’t think the last one will be the choice. It’s to soft.
Thank you all for the input!!!!!
Regards, Peter

Thanxs for the PM and e-mail contact, Hans.

For the others: Hans showed me a piece of Beech what looks very nice. I ordered some parts of that and can saw that myself in 2.5 mm slats.
So, soon new tests with Ramin, Beech and some parts Abachi. But I don’t think the last one will be the choice. It’s to soft.
Thank you all for the input!!!!!
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, don't you like the bridge made in Teak?

Since I have close to zero knowledge of wood types, your experiments so far and those to come are great help. Hopefully the bar on my knowledge meter will move up a peg as you continue.

Last edited:
I love almost any kind of wood, Frank, and love to work with it. With even more types of wood, the choice becomes even greater: choice-strech.:) So for now, I take a look at the mentioned species first.
Regards, Peter
I think it comes down to trying to simulate pine in a small scale. There are a hundred different wood species one can work with, but there are few that look best on a scaled model.
Here you are looking for a light wood, like pine, with a fine and similar wood grain. That narrows down choices, unless you want to take liberties on the BN. But since you went to the trouble of lowering the waterway boards to be flush with the deck and made them grey, then adding a dark wood defeats that purpose of duplicating the real ship. ;) So best to try to simulate pine in a small scale. And that eliminates dark woods and pear, etc.

..... unless you want to take liberties on the BN
Hi Dean.
When you see this picture of the BN (and there are more), then all kind of wood is a liberty. Or I have to use all the char from the frames on the deck planks ..... ;)
Bluenose Port Afterdeck.jpg

And about the grey waterways .......... this is my guide:
5A61168F-BA7B-4671-996D-A8D5FE6CBEAA.jpeg
But since you went to the trouble of lowering the waterway boards to be flush with the deck and made them grey, then adding a dark wood defeats that purpose of duplicating the real ship.
And I don't see this as a problem at all. It gives me even more possibilities to make a nice realistic deck.
There comes no dark wood besides the grey waterways, that's for sure. The main problem is the grain. And it must be in balance with all parts and their colors on the deck.
My only gripe are the color combinations mentioned in the various sources. But that's text, without color photos. So a lot of AL-FI.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Since I have close to zero knowledge of wood types, your experiments so far and those to come are great help. Hopefully the bar on my knowledge meter will move up a peg as you continue.
Same here, just sit back and watch..ROTF
Thanxs Jan and Johan. Stay tuned and I hope to show you some different wood.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back