YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Agreed - perfect!Thumbsup
This looks like a winner to me. Thumbs-Up
The pear does have a red tint, so...no stain needed... and there is enough variation to keep it interesting. It gets my vote! ;)
I like the look, not all one single sheen or color.
Finding that much wood in real scale for a deck in all one perfect matching color would be impossible if not to costly.
Thanxs, Heinrich, Johan, Dean and Kurt, for the input.
Regards, Peter

Last test post:
On request - advice from my SoS building buddy Dean @Dean62 , I also ordered Ramin. That came in yesterday. Also made 2 test pieces. With normal and gray linseed oil.
Here are all tested varieties in pictures:
659 DeckTest.jpg
Ramin itself is a somewhat harder type of wood that can be sawn tightly. Also tighter imitation treenails with the regular linseed oil. With the gray ones they become too dominantly present. But overall it’s too light for a whole deck as far as I'm concerned. And I don’t want to stain, just the linseed oil + or - the grey.

After taking the picture I showed the whole thing to my Admiral. That it was about the choice of wood for the deck. She said almost immediately: the one at the bottom right is very beautiful, in combination with those deck beams. ............... That's the YQ Peer. :)
So END OF DISCUSSION. :rolleyes:

Whether I can show you some results in a short time depends partly on my visit to the physio tomorrow. Since last week I have a pinched nerve in the lower back with pain radiating through the buttock to my left leg. Often I can't sit for more than 5 minutes and have to lay, stand or walk again. Where walking gives the most relaxation.
In our municipality we have a 'running painter'. But a 'walking builder' would become a very special phenomenon.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Last test post:
On request - advice from my SoS building buddy Dean @Dean62 , I also ordered Ramin. That came in yesterday. Also made 2 test pieces. With normal and gray linseed oil.
Here are all tested varieties in pictures:
View attachment 294851
Ramin itself is a somewhat harder type of wood that can be sawn tightly. Also tighter imitation treenails with the regular linseed oil. With the gray ones they become too dominantly present. But overall it’s too light for a whole deck as far as I'm concerned. And I don’t want to stain, just the linseed oil + or - the grey.

After taking the picture I showed the whole thing to my Admiral. That it was about the choice of wood for the deck. She said almost immediately: the one at the bottom right is very beautiful, in combination with those deck beams. ............... That's the YQ Peer. :)
So END OF DISCUSSION. :rolleyes:

Whether I can show you some results in a short time depends partly on my visit to the physio tomorrow. Since last week I have a pinched nerve in the lower back with pain radiating through the buttock to my left leg. Often I can't sit for more than 5 minutes and have to stand or walk again. Where walking gives the most relaxation.
In our municipality we have a 'running painter'. But a 'walking builder' would become a very special phenomenon.
Regards, Peter
The Ramin would look best stained. Otherwise the clear choice is the pear. It will be a beautiful deck! I can’t wait! But it seems I have to. ;)
Sorry to hear about your back! I know how painful that can be, you can’t even tie your shoe. Hope you get well soon!

That was some decision making process. The downselected pear looks absolutely gorgeous!

Good luck with your back, I hope this gets resolved real soon...

Back