YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Difficult choice of color on the deck, and also very personal

Keep moving Peter for your back, I've had this a few times and after a few weeks it got better
Regards
Henk

Difficult choice of color on the deck, and also very personal

Keep moving Peter for your back, I've had this a few times and after a few weeks it got better
Regards
Henk
Thanxs, Henk. I took some time, but the Eureka is there.
Working hard for the recovery. In 2 weeks: holiday with the Admiral and dog. In 4 weeks: snow tracking in Swedish Lapland. Everything is possible, if you want …….. ;):oops:
Regards, Peter

After taking the picture I showed the whole thing to my Admiral. That it was about the choice of wood for the deck. She said almost immediately: the one at the bottom right is very beautiful, in combination with those deck beams. ............... That's the YQ Peer. :)
So END OF DISCUSSION. :rolleyes:
Your Admiral is absolutely correct - and has a good taste
Once more a proof, why our wifes are admirals and we only able seaman - or shipwrights without taste

Finding the right Admiral requires some taste, or at least good judgement…hmmm…never mind! :p
I am afraid to ask my Admiral, she is brutally honest to a fault! Once I asked her opinion, and her response was so honest, it took me by surprise! I asked her if she could maybe sugar coat that a little bit…lol. Her reply was, do you want me to lie to you! I said, in this case…yes!!! :p

Last edited:
Last test post:
On request - advice from my SoS building buddy Dean @Dean62 , I also ordered Ramin. That came in yesterday. Also made 2 test pieces. With normal and gray linseed oil.
Here are all tested varieties in pictures:
View attachment 294851
Ramin itself is a somewhat harder type of wood that can be sawn tightly. Also tighter imitation treenails with the regular linseed oil. With the gray ones they become too dominantly present. But overall it’s too light for a whole deck as far as I'm concerned. And I don’t want to stain, just the linseed oil + or - the grey.

After taking the picture I showed the whole thing to my Admiral. That it was about the choice of wood for the deck. She said almost immediately: the one at the bottom right is very beautiful, in combination with those deck beams. ............... That's the YQ Peer. :)
So END OF DISCUSSION. :rolleyes:

Whether I can show you some results in a short time depends partly on my visit to the physio tomorrow. Since last week I have a pinched nerve in the lower back with pain radiating through the buttock to my left leg. Often I can't sit for more than 5 minutes and have to lay, stand or walk again. Where walking gives the most relaxation.
In our municipality we have a 'running painter'. But a 'walking builder' would become a very special phenomenon.
Regards, Peter
Sorry to hear about your back Peter. I used to run marathons in my youthful years and am very familiar with pinched nerves in the lower back that affects everything down to your last toe, and in some cases leave you immobile for days and even weeks on end. I panicked a bit when it first happened, and especially when no amount of physiotherapy and all their gimmicks seemed to make a jot of difference. Even light exercise seemed to do more harm than good. I soon discovered that pinched nerves were quite common amongst my fellow runners, and in the end it was simply rest and relaxation that did the trick; the human body is amazing in that respect. I hope your recovery will be swift and complete, which I am sure it will :)

Sorry to hear about your back Peter. I used to run marathons in my youthful years and am very familiar with pinched nerves in the lower back that affects everything down to your last toe, and in some cases leave you immobile for days and even weeks on end. I panicked a bit when it first happened, and especially when no amount of physiotherapy and all their gimmicks seemed to make a jot of difference. Even light exercise seemed to do more harm than good. I soon discovered that pinched nerves were quite common amongst my fellow runners, and in the end it was simply rest and relaxation that did the trick; the human body is amazing in that respect. I hope your recovery will be swift and complete, which I am sure it will :)
Indeed, Mark. With all my sports activities, I am also an expert by experience. Up to 3 broken lumbar vertebrae. But still do crazy things, according to my Admiral.
In Dutch we say: Time heals all wounds.
But Time is like uncoiling a spool of thread.
Even though the winding speed of the thread remains the same, just like the time, the bobbin turns faster and faster …….
Regards, Peter

Indeed, Mark. With all my sports activities, I am also an expert by experience. Up to 3 broken lumbar vertebrae. But still do crazy things, according to my Admiral.
In Dutch we say: Time heals all wounds.
But Time is like uncoiling a spool of thread.
Even though the winding speed of the thread remains the same, just like the time, the bobbin turns faster and faster …….
Regards, Peter

Peter, 20 years ago when I turned around the mark of 50's, I started the descent encountering a series of obstacles that up to the mark I never thought I would see ...

But this is the life, and I thank Someone, from anywhere part is, to grant me the opportunity to have opened my eyes once again every morning!

Let's enjoy life!

Last edited:
Peter, 20 years ago when I turned around the mark of 50's, I started the descent encountering a series of obstacles that up to the mark I never thought I would see ...

But this is the life, and I thank Someone, from anywhere part is, to grant me the opportunity to have opened my eyes once again!

Let's enjoy life!
Sure, Piero, I count my blessings!

Still able to do something in the spare moments.

There is an old Dutch tradition to put a coin under the (fore)mast.
It should actually be under the foremast, as quoted: “The Madrina is the one who puts the coin for good luck under the foremast of a newly built ship.”
In 'Witch in the Wind' on p. 65 I found this text:
"The mainmast, foremast, topmasts, booms, gaffs, and bowsprit were all installed after launch, by the riggers. A few coins were placed under each mast for luck, they were carefully lifted into place, and the stays installed and tightened to secure them".

Not everything from that paragraph applies to my BN yet. But before I can start planking the foredeck, I have to put the transits of both masts between the deck beams, the chocks?
YQ has made rectangular blocks with drawn quarters.

The outside of both blocks sanded to fit in the recesses between the deck beams as well as the gap for the mast. I immediately aligned the blocks and opening with the dry-fit placed masts.
660 Coins.jpg
The chocks, lower parts of the masts laid besides and on the bottom of the mast steps, put 2 silver coins each.

Glued the chocks between the beams:
661 Doorvoer.jpg
Have I placed them incorrectly? You can't see the seams anymore?
No, I did that deliberately. The deck is planked all the way around the mast. Then you don't see them anymore. But in the later setup of my BN, I still plan to use a mirror as the bottom of the showcase. Then you can view the construction on the inside of the upper ship. And do you see those seams.
Just like the double knees I started with placing on the port side, between the beams, along the 'clamps'.
The planking will cover them also, but will be visible again from below. (If you look closely!) They will come also to starboard, but that side will not be planked and therefore clearly visible from above.

All in all, first think again before I have listed all the steps.

Finally stubbed the mastparts with their pin glued into the mast step on the keel and fixing the masts in their position:
662 OnderMasten.jpg
The masts are tilted back about 1.5 degrees. Both Chapelle's book, The Saga and Witch in the Wind show that they are slightly behind. This also applies to the drawings of YQ. However, I have not been able to find the number of degrees so far. So a bit of AL-FI.

Once the glue from the stubs has dried I can take the top half off again. And see for the first time what the mast transits will look like on that part. And make some pictures of that.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Still able to do something in the spare moments.

There is an old Dutch tradition to put a coin under the (fore)mast.
It should actually be under the foremast, as quoted: “The Madrina is the one who puts the coin for good luck under the foremast of a newly built ship.”
In 'Witch in the Wind' on p. 65 I found this text:
"The mainmast, foremast, topmasts, booms, gaffs, and bowsprit were all installed after launch, by the riggers. A few coins were placed under each mast for luck, they were carefully lifted into place, and the stays installed and tightened to secure them".

Not everything from that paragraph applies to my BN yet. But before I can start planking the foredeck, I have to put the transits of both masts between the deck beams, the chocks?
YQ has made rectangular blocks with drawn quarters.

The outside of both blocks sanded to fit in the recesses between the deck beams as well as the gap for the mast. I immediately aligned the blocks and opening with the dry-fit placed masts.
View attachment 295121
The chocks, lower parts of the masts laid besides and on the bottom of the mast steps, put 2 silver coins each.

Glued the chocks between the beams:
View attachment 295122
Have I placed them incorrectly? You can't see the seams anymore?
No, I did that deliberately. The deck is planked all the way around the mast. Then you don't see them anymore. But in the later setup of my BN, I still plan to use a mirror as the bottom of the showcase. Then you can view the construction on the inside of the upper ship. And do you see those seams.
Just like the double knees I started with placing on the port side, between the beams, along the 'clamps'.
The planking will cover them also, but will be visible again from below. (If you look closely!) They will come also to starboard, but that side will not be planked and therefore clearly visible from above.

All in all, first think again before I have listed all the steps.

Finally stubbed the mastparts with their pin glued into the mast step on the keel and fixing the masts in their position:
View attachment 295123
The masts are tilted back about 1.5 degrees. Both Chapelle's book, The Saga and Witch in the Wind show that they are slightly behind. This also applies to the drawings of YQ. However, I have not been able to find the number of degrees so far. So a bit of AL-FI.

Once the glue from the stubs has dried I can take the top half off again. And see for the first time what the mast transits will look like on that part. And make some pictures of that.
Regards, Peter
sorry Pietro, my opinion, the trees you should also see at the waterline

Back