YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Peter, Great work as always, your masts sure do look good and so proud. One question, and that is where did you ever find silver coins this small, curious.?
Regards Lawrence

I think the rose ‘glow’ comes partly from the linseed oil.
Hello Peter. The 'Pinkish' color is artificially made. I don't know what exactly the method they use, but naturally Pearwood is more cream ton. Take a look at the image below. The right example is 'vacuumed\steamed' pearwood, while the left is natural.

IMG_2315.jpeg

As far as I know pear is often steamed, to speed up the drying process, and to kill any insects which like the pearwood a bit to much.
There is one disadvantage in steamed pear (in my opinion) and that is that the color will turn into a piggy pink.
Interesting. I thought maybe the pinkish tones came from the heartwood? Learn something new every day! ;)

Here is the information…
View attachment 295163

So the heartwood is pink, but steaming deepens it.
I never noticed if steaming, to bend it, would change the color in the bend area? ;)
What happens to your skin when you go into the sauna? ROTF
Now seriously: this is also for me complete new and very interesting.
For the deck I deal with the YQ-pear. Then the overall look will be ‘a bit redish’.

Hello Peter, Great work as always, your masts sure do look good and so proud. One question, and that is where did you ever find silver coins this small, curious.?
Regards Lawrence
Hi Jan.
012DF811-82D7-4DB6-B4AB-0C8B33FBF1FC.jpeg
+
B2AC056A-1FF4-4E84-940D-F5BCB76E7189.jpeg
= more then words can tell.
On the side of the coins I wrote:
“Who can read this text has very good eyes.”
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I meant this, sorry if I can't explain myself wellView attachment 295138
I probably won't have to convince the others that I've done the necessary 'research', so for Frank @Frank48 :
663 Angle.jpg
The drawing on pag. 294, figure 36, of Howard I. Chapelle's "The American Fishing Schooners".
The blue lines are drawn perpendicular to the waterline, from the center of the top of the lower masts downwards.
The foremast is tilted back +/- 1 degree and the mainmast +/- 1.8 degrees. Measured through the center of both masts.
I draw all the lines in Photoshop with the digital signature of the drawn line.

664 Angle.jpg
The drawing on pag. 66 from L.B. Jenson's "Bluenose II, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners", being his interpretation of the original Bluenose. (See the text below-left.)
He has not drawn the complete masts in this drawing.
I have continued the stumps with the red lines upwards.
The blue lines are perpendicular to the waterline and I let it run through the middle of the bottom of the masts upwards.
Here too I reach +/- 1 degree for the foremast and +/- 1.8 degree for the mainmast.

On pg. 33 he did make a transverse drawing of the stern with the main mast, but that is of the BN-II. There the main boom is placed 2 degree backwards.

With my comment:
All with the limitations of the artists, of course. But considering Chapelle's drawing, I am quite convinced of his drawing accuracy.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Probabilmente non dovrò convincere gli altri che ho fatto la "ricerca" necessaria, quindi per Frank @Frank48 :
[ALLEGARE=completo]295191[/ALLEGARE]
Il disegno a pag. 294, figura 36, di "The American Fishing Schooners" di Howard I. Chapelle.
Le linee blu sono tracciate perpendicolarmente alla linea di galleggiamento, dal centro della sommità degli alberi inferiori verso il basso.
L'albero di trinchetto è inclinato all'indietro di +/- 1 grado e l'albero maestro di +/- 1,8 gradi. Misurato attraverso il centro di entrambi gli alberi.
Disegno tutte le linee in Photoshop con la firma digitale della linea disegnata.

[ALLEGARE=completo]295192[/ALLEGARE]
Il disegno a pag. 66 da "Bluenose II, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners" di LB Jenson, essendo la sua interpretazione dell'originale Bluenose. (Vedi il testo in basso a sinistra.)
Non ha disegnato gli alberi completi in questo disegno.
Ho continuato i monconi con le linee rosse verso l'alto.
Le linee blu sono perpendicolari alla linea di galleggiamento e la lascio scorrere attraverso il centro della parte inferiore degli alberi verso l'alto.
Anche qui raggiungo +/- 1 grado per l'albero di trinchetto e +/- 1,8 gradi per l'albero di maestra.

A pag. 33 fece un disegno trasversale della poppa con l'albero maestro, ma quello è del BN-II. Lì il braccio principale è posizionato all'indietro di 2 gradi.

Con il mio commento:
Il tutto con i limiti degli artisti, ovviamente. Ma considerando il disegno di Chapelle, sono abbastanza convinto della sua accuratezza nel disegno.
Saluti, Pietro
Buon pomeriggio Pietro, grazie per avermi risposto ma, come ti ho detto ieri non ci siamo capiti per via dell'inglese/italiano, quello che hai postato è proprio quello che intendevo1646833743818.jpeg

Last edited:
Obviously what you say is correct, Peter!
When the wind pushes, the masts must necessarily lean forward, especially in a tailwind, so the "counting" towards the stern is correct. Probably what Franco says was true at the time of galleons and previous ships.
Hi Piero. Thanxs for the reply.
Marq De Villiers mentioned the leaning forwards by full wind in his Witch in the Wind.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Even with the now attached mast stumps I was still able to remove the 'above the waterline part' in an upright movement.
Soon you may be able to see this through the mirror:
665 View.jpg
The masts will protrude through the deck in this way. They are glued into the chocks and also get their mast coats.

With a picture of the 'under the waterline part' with the glued mast stumps:
666 Onderste.jpg
This is now ready (I think so). Maybe already make his final warf standard?
Anyway, start with planking the deck.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back