Friesland - Mamoli scale 1:75

Hello dear friends
After about a month and a half I returned to the current ship. For the past two months, as some of you know, I have focused on building the Hannah. Today I actually started designing and gluing the second layer of planking. Glue two different rows of boards one millimeter thick and the other 1.5 millimeter. In the photo of the model, the prominent panels should be black. I'm not sure this will be the end result in my model either. The dilemma stems from the question of what will look more beautiful (I like the color of the original wood) and what was the color in the original model of the ship? I would love to know if anyone knows? Overall this is just a small step in the planking process of the second layer, but it's still fun to get back to this ship as well.
20201003_205744.jpg20201003_205118.jpg20201003_205149.jpg

Hello dear friends
After some deliberation, I decided to paint the prominent 1.5 millimeter planking boards in black.
I glued sticky paper over the areas that should remain in natural wood paint and painted the exposed boards in black acrylic paint.
I am satisfied with the result
20201004_143609.jpg20201004_143837.jpg

Hi shota,

Actually the Friesland is as far as I know a non excisting ship. The model of Mamoli is mainly based on the Hohenzollern model which was a present in the 17th century from the Dutch to kurfurst of Brandenburg germany but unfortunately fully destroid in the second world war.
The ship had been fully documented and photograped in a book by Heinrich Winter which is a great reference work when building Friesland.
See below the pictures of the original.
Voigt_Hohenzollernmodell01.jpg
Voigt_Hohenzollernmodell03.jpg
Voigt_Hohenzollernmodell02.jpg

See my Friesland here.

And the fantastic model of Peter

The wales were most probably plain and not black like on English ships. The color would be dark oak like Batavia is.
You have to look at your wales because the flow of them is incorrect and this will influence the complete layout of your hull. The wales at the stern should cross the gun ports and are not in line with the decks.

Last edited:
Hello my dear friends. The planking looks very good, but please take a look at @Maarten's comments about the wales and the gunports.

Build 377.jpg
The arrows indicate the point that Maarten is trying to make about the wales crossing the gunports. The solid red line indicates more or less the actual deck line. As you can see the wales follow a completely different line to that of the deck.

Hello my dear friends. The planking looks very good, but please take a look at @Maarten's comments about the wales and the gunports.

View attachment 184132
The arrows indicate the point that Maarten is trying to make about the wales crossing the gunports. The solid red line indicates more or less the actual deck line. As you can see the wales follow a completely different line to that of the deck.
Dear Heinrich and @Maarten
I will do / fix this, the question is what is the correct way to remove the boards that have already been glued?

On the advice of a friend / Stoglo, I bought alcohol at a concentration of 70% and with a syringe and gently removed the tablets and re-glued

Dear friends,
in the last hours I have been busy removing the boards using alcohol.
I also used plans for initial leveling of the surface, since some of the boards were not removed in their entirety and some dents and holes were formed in the planking.
after that I used a Filler for wood and sandpaper with various sanders to create a smooth and even surface.
By the way, in some places, I glue wooden board parts to fill and close the holes.
The result does not look pretty at the moment however since it will later be covered in the second layer of planking, it worries me less. Tomorrow I will try to continue on the path of gluing the boards.
by the way, I will Get up again in a few hours to watch the fifth game of the NBA Finals which is expected to be the The championship game of the Los Angeles Lakers.
Hopefully it will be interesting and fun to sport.
20201009_151708.jpg20201009_233845.jpg

Dear Shota. I know it is a lot of extra work, but believe me that you will be very happy with the final result once everything has been done. Your commitment to accuracy is commendable and is testimony to a great model builder.:)

Dear friends,
Over the last few days I have been busy repairing the prominent boards in planking.
The process takes time & according your's guidance, and While ensuring accuracy and execution according to the plans of the model.
I am in the midst of a process that is guidance to the right direction20201013_224812.jpg

It is every time surprising how much the location of the gunports differ to the wales at these older ships.

I know, that there is somewhere a drawing existing by van de Velde showing also the stern of the Friesland, but there are some others from the same period, which I found at the NMM (fastly).
one is the Westfriesland and the other one is the ‘Prins Hendrik’

pt2425.jpg py3882.jpg

This working step is very important not to make a mistake or to differ between starboard and portside ..... Thumbsup

Hello friends
Today I took another step in the construction process.
I actually finished laying and gluing the second layer of planking up to the height of the cannon windows.
I also painted the first layer of black the ballet boards, that I re-laid to correct the mistake from about two weeks ago.
More sanding and smoothing work awaits me, however I am satisfied with the intermediate result in the process.
Attaches some photos of the ship. May we all have a fun weekend ahead
20201017_175807.jpg20201017_175824.jpg

20201017_175816.jpg

Attachments

• 20201017_175816.jpg
    20201017_175816.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 2
Hello
Today I took another step in the construction process.
I actually finished laying and gluing the second layer of planking up to the height of the cannon windows.
I also painted the first layer of black the ballet boards, that I re-laid to correct the mistake from about two weeks ago.
More sanding and smoothing work awaits me, however I am satisfied with the intermediate result in the process.
Attaches some photos of the ship. May we all have a fun weekend ahead
View attachment 186044View attachment 186045

View attachment 186048

Dear Shota. The wale line looks much better now at the stern. Thumbs-Up I am not sure what Mr Deep means, but his advice is always good - so maybe you should find out from him what he has in mind.

Back