HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Uwe, could you explain the process of "treenailing"? It looks very nice and professional. Thanks, Magic Mike
Take a look at this post #625 in which I am showing several working steps of my "actual" treenailing method - I hope everything will be more clear - otherwise I will be happy to answer or show additional photos

I use toothpicks - cut them into two halfs
put the pick on top of a drawplate and give one or two small hit with a hammer
IMG_1861.jpg IMG_1863.jpg
than it is looking like this - o,5mm thick

After marking the lines where the treenailing should be - I press a small mark with a scriber and drill a hole of 0,48mm (smallest Proxxon drill)

IMG_1865.jpg
In the meantime I am not using any glue - no need

Also single planks are getting treenails - this one is a strip of the inner planking

IMG_2121.jpg

afterwards I cut the toothpicks with some pliers

IMG_2122.jpg

and sand or scratch the surface

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

Last edited:
Many Thanks to @pianoforte , @Herman , @dockattner , @Magic Mike and @Lucian29 for your kind words - much appreciated and a big motivation
also for all the likes recieved - Many Thanks

a small further step is done with the interior planking of the poop deck

the treenailing seems not to end

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

The final top plank can only be adjusted when I know exactly where the planksheer rail is known ..... the next working step on my list

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued ....

That the way it is with treenailing: you know where it starts, but the end....... ;)
It's just beautiful work and it brings the planks alive.
For my possible new build it’s the same with rivets ……… :)
Regards, Peter
after reading your new log, I can fully understand your words - Puh - this will be some work
but problems are there to be solved....

Peter - especially for you (and a lot of others)
Screenshot 2023-08-29 134231.png

Take a look at this post #625 in which I am showing several working steps of my "actual" treenailing method - I hope everything will be more clear - otherwise I will be happy to answer or show additional photos

I use toothpicks - cut them into two halfs
put the pick on top of a drawplate and give one or two small hit with a hammer
View attachment 391619 View attachment 391621
than it is looking like this - o,5mm thick

After marking the lines where the treenailing should be - I press a small mark with a scriber and drill a hole of 0,48mm (smallest Proxxon drill)

View attachment 391622
In the meantime I am not using any glue - no need

Also single planks are getting treenails - this one is a strip of the inner planking

View attachment 391623

afterwards I cut the toothpicks with some pliers

View attachment 391624

and sand or scratch the surface

View attachment 391625

View attachment 391620
Uwe, thanks for the detailed explanation of treenails and I also took your advice and checked out post #625 with Maarten. After viewing his workmanship on the "Royal Caroline" and yours on the "Granado" I was already in awe of both you "masters"! Not only are you both gifted but both are very kind to pass along your knowledge to us apprentices. Maarten took the time to give me a detailed report on how and why he does tree-nails the way he did on the Caroline. Thanks to you both (I'm not sure if he is copied on this reply) "Novice" Magic Mike

Many Thanks to @Peter Voogt , @Magic Mike , @Kurt Konrath , @Dean62 , @pianoforte and @Ptèr for your kind words about the latest post and my work on the treenailing
and also to all the likes received

Today only a last photo related to the deck planking of the quarter deck, where I would like to show and compare my planking solution with the model built by Robert A. Lightley

The Original
IMG_3452.jpg

My Copy
IMG_3469.jpg

and interesting also the drawing by Goodwin in jis Anatomy book - with straight planking

IMG_3283aa.jpg

Everytime I am looking at this original model, I am realizing how much still to do on my model

The next work will be the ....... we will see

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued

Last edited:
Many Thanks to Paul and Tyler for these kind words Redface

The next work will be the sheer rails, so I can finalize the outer and inner planking and the installation of all elements which are in contact with the rails ( like the cathead, anchor lining etc.)

This are the Goodwin drawings showing the vessel from the side

IMG_3485.jpg IMG_3484.jpg

In the kit included are some boxwood strip material, which can be used for the ornamental part of the sheer rails

Unfortunately I did not make a photo of the scratching of teh sheer rail, so for information here a photo showing a strip which is used at the stern, this I made some time ago for testing

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

The boxwood can be bended like a normal wood - watering and hot iron

IMG_3464.jpg

This boxwood strip is now installed from the bow up to the stern (sorry no photo) showing the complete length

With the installed boxwood strip I know exactly where at the end the sheer rail is, means also the innerplanking can be adjusted and filled up to this height

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

I wish you all a nice and relaxing weekend .... many thanks for your interest .... see you soon

The next work will be the sheer rails, so I can finalize the outer and inner planking and the installation of all elements which are in contact with the rails ( like the cathead, anchor lining etc.)

View attachment 392401 View attachment 392400

In the kit included are some boxwood strip material, which can be used for the ornamental part of the sheer rails

Unfortunately I did not make a photo of the scratching of teh sheer rail, so for information here a photo showing a strip which is used at the stern, this I made some time ago for testing

View attachment 392398

View attachment 392399

View attachment 392394

This boxwood strip is now installed from the bow up to the stern (sorry no photo) showing the complete length

With the installed boxwood strip I know exactly where at the end the sheer rail is, means also the innerplanking can be adjusted and filled up to this height

View attachment 392395

View attachment 392396

View attachment 392397

I wish you all a nice and relaxing weekend .... many thanks for your interest .... see you soon
my dear friend
you have done wonderful work on the sheer rails, it's looks beautiful

View attachment 392401 View attachment 392400

View attachment 392398

View attachment 392399

View attachment 392394

View attachment 392395

View attachment 392396

View attachment 392397

Very impressive modeling. A lot of lessons can be learned from this build.
And then, daring to compare one's build with a renowned museum piece and surviving, kudos!

Many Thanks for your kind replies and all the likes received

Now I came to the top rail of the sheer rail - herefore some laser cut elements are available in the kit

The first element is the part towards the stern, after sanding down all the tops of the frames etc.

IMG_3475.jpg

Based by some imperfection of my work, the part is not fitting correctly and has a wider curvature than needed for my hull

based on the original kit part and the real needs, I prepared a correct form in cardboard, which would be my template for cutting out

IMG_3474.jpg

checking tha cardboard template

IMG_3476.jpg

With the jigsaw it was not a big deal to cut out from some pear wood (at the end this part will be painted black (I think so in moment)

IMG_3480.jpg

from outside the sheer rail will have the correct height according Goodwins sketches - from inside only the pear element is visible

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

Soon I will show the sheer rail preparation at the bow .... many thanks for your interest

Back