HMS Victory by Occre build log

Just returned from a three month break from Modelling. Reason is I had completed the Hull and thought needed time out to do other things before returning to start the rigging.

During this period sorted out 'The Boat room' as my wife calls it by building a wall unit of cupboards. Made it out of 18mm ply screwed and glued together. Basically it is 4 boxes of ply joined together. Back is 9mm ply. Put shelves in also made of 18mm ply. Covered the edges with iron on oak strip. The top is a laminated Oak worktop normally used in kitchens. It should make my life a bit easier as I have alot of modelling 'stuff' to hide away. Once the Occre Victory is completed plan to make a glass fronted shelving unit on top of the worktop to display it in. Always thought the 'O' Level in woodwork would come in handy!!

Also made a unit to hold all of the different strips of wood/spars; every time I needed say a 2x2 strip had to rummage in the box to find it - wasted rather alot of time. So made a rack out of 18mm ply - the uprights have 15 no 20mm dia holes through which the strips of wood rest. Dymo labels used to label each size. Now every time I need a new strip its a matter of seconds to find the correct one - well worth the hour or so spent to make it out of scrap 18mm ply

After that quick division back to the model...........................

Completed the Bowsprit with no great problems. Only issue is bending the bands of metal used to create a banding effect around the main Bowsprit spar. Tried to glue them in position but found I needed to pin each end to keep them in position

View attachment 456914

View attachment 456915

View attachment 456916

View attachment 456917

View attachment 456918

View attachment 456919
All of it looks great !
How do you support the shelves in the middle of the "boxes"? I want to do something like that but am concerned about the weight the middle shelves can support.

Used these shelf supports - just drill a small hole and pop them in. If you want any more info re the plywood boxes just ask

Just realised you are the other side of the Atlantic - but expect you can get similar items there

Used these shelf supports - just drill a small hole and pop them in. If you want any more info re the plywood boxes just ask

Just realised you are the other side of the Atlantic - but expect you can get similar items there
Thanks. Yes, we have similar here.

Back