Le Rochefort build log by OlivierF

Well the bow assembly has been kicking my A$$… I have the individual hawse timbers correctly made since they’re exactly per the plans. It’s been the assembly that’s been a challenge. I finally started over and assembled a frame for the timbers.
IMG_8580.jpeg

With this frame the Timbers seem to line up correctly.
IMG_8581.jpeg

This is where I “discovered” the problem that I haven’t seen addressed anywhere. Or if it has been I missed it… anyway the filler pieces are NOT parallel. Adrien’s book simply says to make filler pieces 3.5 x 5 mm and size them according to the plans. Closer inspection of the plans and Visually looking at the Timbers in the construction frame confirms this.

IMG_8582.jpeg

A little geometry of the angles confirms the filler pieces are angled and each are different.

Last step was to setup my mill to mill the filler pieces at the correct angles.
IMG_8583.jpeg

Now I’ll mill the filler pieces and hope it all works out.
More to come later. Now it’s break time. ;)Coffee

Hello Oliver, yes, the form is quite something. I checked my report again and I saw that I mentioned "filler pieces not at right angles" but it's very good that you mentioned it again. I will also put it in the information again. Your work looks very good.

Post in thread 'LE ROCHEFORT - Harbour yacht from 1787 1:36 by Tobias (Monograph by ANCRE)'
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...y-tobias-monograph-by-ancre.10941/post-308772

Hello Oliver, yes, the form is quite something. I checked my report again and I saw that I mentioned "filler pieces not at right angles" but it's very good that you mentioned it again. I will also put it in the information again. Your work looks very good.

Post in thread 'LE ROCHEFORT - Harbour yacht from 1787 1:36 by Tobias (Monograph by ANCRE)'
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...y-tobias-monograph-by-ancre.10941/post-308772
Thank you Tobias. I did see your mention that the filler pieces were not at right angles but thought that to mean the pieces were not square to each other and did not realize your were meaning that they tapered fore and aft. Live and learn every day!

Thank you all for your Birthday greetings!
Since this I my day, I spent some time in the shipyard and got most of the hawse timbers installed.

IMG_8588.jpegIMG_8587.jpegIMG_8586.jpeg

I do, however, continue to struggle with the 5th timber. I’ve tried various methods to mill the correct angle to fit the first frame. I’ve tried milling at the appropriate angle using double stick tape, I’ve attempted cutting by hand with saw and chisel, I tried sanding both disk sander and by hand. It’s a good thing these are small pieces or I would have to buy up a forest of wood…

Anyway, I gave up for today so I think I’ll go have some birthday cake and open presents!

Thanks again everyone!

Before starting on the ship’s counter I decided to built a small drum sander as I’ve been struggling with getting planks the appropriate thickness overall.
So, this is what I came up with using wood from the scrap bin and hardware I had laying around…

IMG_8605.jpegIMG_8607.jpeg
The drum is 5” long and 1.5” in diameter. The table is 5” wide and 10” long. I think this should be fine for the small scale of the timbers used in modeling.
I don’t have any of the right kind of sandpaper so I’ve ordered a 2” roll of 120 grit PVA backed sand paper.
I’ll have to wait for a test drive until the paper arrives.

I think I may also install a dedicated motor and not use a drill… we’ll see…

IMG_8609.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, I was thinking about making one too. How did you get the shaft perfectly centered ? Actually I want to make better drums for my drill press out of wood. How are you fastening the paper to it ? A slot ?

Thanks Tony. For centering the shaft I carefully measured everything about 10 times. ;) Before assembly and glueing.
The sandpaper I ordered has adhesive backing and will be rolled on at an angle just like on the big drum sanders. I’ll send a picture of that once the paper arrives.
Ah ok yes. I have the rubber type of drums for the drill press. They’re not accurate or perfectly square.

Ah ok yes. I have the rubber type of drums for the drill press. They’re not accurate or perfectly square.
I understand your frustration as I have the rubber type on my oscillating spindle sander. I modified that and made a “luthier”s friend” type of setup. It works ok but I think the rubber deflects or something which causes inconsistency. Anyway, I’ll let you know how the hard wooden drum works out…

Back