LE ROCHEFORT

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU NIGEL IF IT EVER GETS TO MUCH PLEASE LET ME KNOW, PICTURE SHOWING STERN SIDE OF FRAME IS THIS THE WAY IT IS SUPOSED TOGO LOOKS WEIRED, PLEASE HELP, I WISH GERARD HAD SHOWN MORE DETAIL OF THE FIRST 4 FRAMES BUT WITH HELP I WILL GET IT

Attachments

• 20191118_225751.jpg
    20191118_225751.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 9
NOW I AM COMPLETLY LOST ON THE FIRST FRAME, TOTALLY LOST, if i can describe what is happening according to the plans the frame facing the bow i have got right it is right on the frame facing the stern is the same as the one facing the bow is this correct then i do not understand the plans, and when i go to fit the frame intto the inner keel only one floor fits not 2 what am i doing wrong here are some pictures hope they are clearer then the other ones20191119_044100.jpg20191119_044905.jpg20191119_045621.jpg

taking a break from frame No.1 for a while as my head clears up still can not figure it out, so a break making other parts for a couple of reasons trying to famiarize myself with the plans and monograph as both my first scratch build and my first French ship, alkso need to find a space for my building slip as it is quite large and work shop is full so here is the mast step completed20191120_003007.jpg20191120_053124.jpg20191120_194657.jpg

Hi Don
Here are some drawings I have done for the first frame and I have included a sketch how it sits on the keel.Looking at your pics,you are making the job harder by cutting each futtock it's actual width.Cut the futtocks out to the overall width of both frames together in other words cut them out to the widest lines on the plan.Then you will bevel both frames together as a unit.

Kind Regards

Nigel

roche2.jpgroche3.jpgroche4.jpg

FANTASTIC EXPLANATION NIGEL, YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, CAN NOT DO THIS WITHOUT YOU, SO THANKS,,,,AS FAR AS BEVELS I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD HOW TO BEVEL WITH ALL THE LINES, I NORMALLY FAIR THE SHIP AFTER FRAMES IN PLACE NOT FOLLOWING THE BEVEL AS SHOWN ON THE DRAWING, I AM DETERMINDED TO DO THIS CORRECT ONCE AND FOR ALL, I WILL START THE BEVELING ON FRAMES 8 ETC THEN IF I AM DOING IT CORRECTLY WILL GO BACK TO FRAMES 2 tru 5, THANKS AGAIN AND SO SORRY TO BE SUCH A PAIN. Don

Don
You don't have to bevel the frames now,I merely used it to explain what I meant by cutting the futtocks the FULL width of both frames together.I will be posting some pics tomorrow at some point of my build which shows what I mean.I am also working on the first frame now;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

THANKS AGAIN NIGEL, I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, DO YOU EVENTUALLY SAND THE BEVELS BEFORE INSTALLATION OF THE FRAMES OR AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN INSTALLED. THANKS AGAIN Don

Don
I am planning on sanding the bevels on the first frame when the hawse timbers are fixed to it and shape as one piece.It will not be glued to the keel at this point.
Regarding the rest of the frames,sanding the bevels first can lead to over doing it if you are not careful.I would make all the frames and have your jig set up.With the frames loosely in position you can decide if you have enough access to fully fair the frames,or if you need a "head start".The outside is easy to get to and on a smaller model you can do it from scratch with it assembled.However,you will need to bevel the outside where it touches the "waterline" jig otherwise it will not sit down on the keel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

THANKS AGAIN NIGEL, WILL KEEP EVERYTHING IN MIND AS I PROGRESS. Don PS I AM USING A BUILDING SLIP NOT A JIG AS SUCH, SAME AS VINCE IS USING FOR HIS PRINCE, TRIED TO DO A JIG JUST CAN NOT DO IT DUE TO AGE AND EYSITE NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS LOL,

Back