POF La Palme (L'Amarante) Corvette 1744 1:36 (Ancre Monograph) by Tobias

Good morning @Steef66 , @shota70 and @Brian, thank you for the encouragement.

Well, what I definitely learned is that in the future I will use the same colored wood to have the same contrast in the tree nails. It's all pear, but nature is just nature. Personally, I like this difference quite a lot, but in this case it would have been better if it was more uniform. I would like to say that I have looked at a lot of construction reports of the Amarante in the French forum and almost all of them were made with iron nails. So I orientated myself on this and therefore did not concentrate on this color difference. When I asked GD I found out that they are tree nails, as far as I have the right sanding the tree nails are driven from the outside through the outer planks, the frames and the inside and then fixed with a wedge in the interior.

I would like to say that I have looked at a lot of construction reports of the Amarante in the French forum and almost all of them were made with iron nails. So I orientated myself on this and therefore did not concentrate on this color difference.
French and belgian modelers like to use brass or iron nails to simulate nails, bots and also treenails.
just as a question of taste and often not because of technical correctness.
Also important is maybe the fact, that the french shipwrights used in real for the outer hull planking appr. 50% iron nails and bolts and 50% wooden treenails.
So technically correct would be like shown in Frölichs book - for outer hull planking!!!
Looking strange - but correct - maybe therefore the french modelers often like the brass nailing more than wooden treenails
IMG_51271.jpg IMG_51281.jpg

looking like a child sickness, but correct

Screenshot 2023-01-10 135453.png Screenshot 2023-01-10 135534.png

BTW: your solution is looking very good - also the treenails made from two different woods - I like it very much
Hello Uwe that is absolutely correct and concerns the outside (planks) these are made under the waterline with tree nails and iron nails. I wrote to GD and he explained it to me as follows:
There are two nails per pair, but the vaigres are also fixed by the gournables (wooden nails) of the outer planks.

1673358319607.png

In my case it is still the inside and there it should only be wooden nails and not iron nails.

Hi Tobias. Once again, super clean and precise work by you Sir. I can also confirm and honestly somewhat surprised. During my research for Le Fleuron, I discovered the unusual method used by the French, specifically below the waterline, as cited in Jean Boudriot's 74 Gun Ship volume. I can only surmise that this methodology offers a combination of strength and longevity. Either that or someone could not make up their mind. ROTF Maybe they were afraid if they went with all nails below the waterline they would rust away and if they went with all treenails the structure would be less sound. I have not found the reasoning documented anywhere in my research, only that it was done this way.

This is one of the areas of the model I will depart from, solely for appearance sake and I will be choosing to go with all treenails under the waterline and all nails above the same.
Hull Planking Fasteners.jpg

Hello everyone, at the moment I have a lot to do and my job is very busy, which means that I can only rarely do anything at La Palme and Le Rochefort. As you know, I just started with the tree nails inside a while ago and I can only say 1/3 is done, hooray.

View attachment 357578

View attachment 357579
Das sieht doch sehr schön aus!
That looks very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, at the moment I have a lot to do and my job is very busy, which means that I can only rarely do anything at La Palme and Le Rochefort. As you know, I just started with the tree nails inside a while ago and I can only say 1/3 is done, hooray.

View attachment 357578

View attachment 357579
Good morning Tobia , I ask: is the bow to the left or to the right?

027199D9-D9B2-446E-BDC6-798A3D90FA7A.jpeg

View attachment 357578

View attachment 357579
Hallo Tobias, mühselig ernährt sich das Eichhörnchen. ;) The squirrel feeds hard. I know that, but very nice work.

Back