Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

I have now finished cutting all the parts for the first 20 (of 64)Frames.These are slightly oversize to sand down to finished size.I have noticed some further discrepencies on the drawings.The height of the tops of the frames are off by as much as 3mm on some of the cross sections when cross referencing with PL15 framing plan.I will work as much as possible to the framing plan and back check everything to this drawing to try and avoid problems down the road.

The last picture shows what remains of the 7 Pear planks I had delivered.Most of the rectangular offcuts are the 'snipe' caused by the thicknesser.This is about 50mm at each end of the plank and is common with these machines.It is usable,just not for framing parts as it is thinner than finished thickness.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp46.jpgsp47.jpgsp48.jpg

Hi Jim

Probably no more photos now for a little while.We should be moving hopefully within the next four weeks,so I figure now is a convenient point to break of from building completely,hence all the bits in the handy transportation container:(

I have spent some time recently going through timber choices whilst looking at other builds.This has enabled me to build a mental picture of how I want this model to look.What I want to do,is come up with something unique and steer away from the Frolich type choices(nothing wrong with them)and convey more the true colours of the original.Like many of my builds,paint will not be used,the colours of the selected timbers will be enough.This has led to the game plan as follows;
Hull structure-Pear
Hull yellow occre bands-Boxwood
Wales and other black details-African Ebony
All red areas-African Paduk
Carvings-Boxwood with Ebony and Paduk inlays where appropriate.

Michele Padoan's great model of L'Orient is the great inspiration for choosing Paduk.It has been said it looses it's redness when exposed to oxygen,however reading posts on the French forum,this has not been the case.I intend to take the use of Paduk a little further to include the gunport linings and all deck supporting timbers from the lower gun deck upwards.This will mean the framing will be altered slightly around all the gunports to include the Paduk spliced into it.This will be a deviation from historical correctness in the name of asthetics.Also the tops of my frames will be cut off and spliced with Paduk in order for the rail supports to be red.
I know Paduk is a fairly coarse grained timber,but given the scale I am working to,it should not detract from the model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Jim,neither have I.I imagine it is similar to Mahogany to work with and possibly splintery.I know it can't be any worse than the learning curve I went through with Ebony.Everything is planned out,what I did not mention in the last post,is that there will be no armament and probably only the main cabins will have planked decks.This model is all about the graceful lines,structure and beautiful ornamentation.I feel cannons are unnecessary and will impede the view looking down into the models internals.Only stub masts will most probably included for the same reason and the fact the model would be as tall as me rigged.There were many fine Navy Boards models in the National Maritime Museum without armament and masting/rigging.

Kind Regards

Nigel

BrianROTF
I have a large spare bedroom earmarked just for displaying models;)

Some light at the end of the tunnel now FINALLY.Completion date and handing over of keys set for the 24th of this monthThumbsupIt will take us a month or two to get organised in the new house.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Everyone

Not been around much the last few weeks and may not be for a little while longer.We have FINALLY moved into are new home.Stuff everywhere but happy to report only one very minor model breakage.
What will be the main 'big stuff' shipyard is half crammed with boxes of general stuff.I have made a start putting some shelves up and the frame of the first of three workbenches can be seen in the left of the picture.I have made the bottom shelf on this high enough to accommodate a set of ladders underneath.Another bench will run along the wall on the end of this one giving a 4 metre general workbench.
A 2m long bench will run in the middle of the floor to accommodate the build table for Saint-Philippe
Lighting a power sockets will need improving.
Slowly chipping away at getting this area sorted but obviously organising the main house takes priority.Got to keep in my Wifes good books as I have my eye on a bigger milling machine

Regards

Nigel

sp49.jpg

Thanks Jim
Yes it is almost exactly the same size as my workshop I used to have before we moved to a rented house four and a half years ago One bonus is that it is integral with the house so has cavity walls all round and insulation in the ceiling(as there are bedrooms upstairs).It should be dry and reasonably warm even in winter.
Downside is no windows other than the one in the backdoor so sorting the lighting is important.Not going to mess with the ceiling though as this is fire rated to comply with building regs.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
Thanks Janos

We are now in the new house but far from being organised.Still a few things left to shift from our previous address mainly some books and gardening tools.Biggest noticeable improvement so far is fibre broadband,miles quicker than the broadband carrier pigeon we had living in a tiny villageROTF

Regards

Nigel

Thanks Jim
Yes it is almost exactly the same size as my workshop I used to have before we moved to a rented house four and a half years ago One bonus is that it is integral with the house so has cavity walls all round and insulation in the ceiling(as there are bedrooms upstairs).It should be dry and reasonably warm even in winter.
Downside is no windows other than the one in the backdoor so sorting the lighting is important.Not going to mess with the ceiling though as this is fire rated to comply with building regs.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

I am getting a little bit worried when you tell the garage in inside the house and above it is a bed room. What to do when you are raising the masts, does it mean you have to clear the bedroom upstairs to remove the ceiling of the garage to make way for your masts? ;););)

Great space for your workshop.

I am getting a little bit worried when you tell the garage in inside the house and above it is a bed room. What to do when you are raising the masts, does it mean you have to clear the bedroom upstairs to remove the ceiling of the garage to make way for your masts? ;););)
Actually, I think there will be no celling, at least a hole the size to establish a pole (like in the firefighter houses). If emergency, they just slide down. This way Nigel can be as fast as possible near his model... :p

Back