Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

The initial section of the jig is now complete.The aft end piece will be sawn off later when this fits into the full length jig.The square ends allow me to rotate onto all four sides to ease working.
The frames are glued and screwed in place apart from the two furthest aft.These will be removed and used as the starting block for assembling the next group of frames.
The slot in the rear plate of the jig will be to support the keel in the correct place when doing trial assemblies.There are notches in the deadwood to take the frames,the positions will be scribed with the keel trial fitted to guarantee everything lines up.
Last picture is a "money shot"ROTFI tried to capture the fact that jig slot,slots in the base of the frames and gap between hawse timbers all line up perfectly to take the keel.Not so easy to capture on camera.I am pleasantly relieved everything has worked as intended.

Kind Regards

Nigel
sp256.jpgsp257.jpgsp258.jpgsp259.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments.Regarding images I will look at options when I do my next update.I do not have much interest in Photography so use my work iPhone to take pictures.I am mindful not to take the mick when it comes to volume of data I send.Invariably I email the pics to my home email from work phone.I no longer have a personal mobile.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Rabbet timeROTF
I bought a laminate trimmer in one of the Aldi offers solely for this purpose.The rabbet will be somewhat simplified in the horizontal(ish) area of the keel.This is due to the fact I will be fitting a few planks either side of the keel on the lower hull.Personally I feel no need to go the pain of creating the transitions of this groove when a plank edge will cover it given the rabbet is over 1.5 metres long.
On to cutting the curved section at the front.Firstly I bought a Trend 60 degree V bit.This nearly cost as much as the trimmer:rolleyes:
I next traced the line of the rabbet from the plan and then marked a new curve half of the width of the trimmers base inside the rabbet line.This was then glued to some scrap ply and the shape cut out.
This template was then screwed to the bench and the keel clamped down to the bench with the correct dimensional relationship between them.The rabbet was then cut very slowly ensuring the trimmer base was hard against the template at all times.I didn't go all the way to the main Rabbet.The last bit will be cut with a scalpel to avoid any mishaps.The pictures,I feel,are fairly self explanatory.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp260.jpgsp261.jpgsp262.jpgsp263.jpgsp264.jpg

Very clean, top work. Cut the rabbet is a heartbeat-action. You can kill a lot of hours of work with one little move. I cutted my rabbet with a blade, but this wasn´t the best option. Or maybe i am not the best craftsman for this option. Whatever, the next projct will be milled as well.
Difficult is now the crossing between horizontal and vertical. Difficult because you have to follow with the clean sharp edges. To continue with them on the crossing is the art in my opinion. But with your skill, i have no doubt that it will look great like the rest of your fantastic building.

Thankyou Oliver and Maarten

I cut out the crossmembers between the frames to gain access to the inside.The inside shape has been rough faired.I am going to order a shaped cabinet scraper to refine the lines.

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 141621View attachment 141622View attachment 141623View attachment 141624
Rough faired?!?! I've never seen a model so beautifully shaped. Nigel, there is some force at work here, besides your patience. I understand you are not willing to share that force, that's OK. In the meantime, I'll crawl back to my hole and never surface again. Happy birthday Jim!

Back