Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

are you using paper or cardboard templates for cutting out the planks?
Looking at the fine grain you are not using stripes, I guess you cut out the form of a plank (especially at the bow)
BTW: Very good work my friend

Thanks Uwe

I am now using printer paper for the templates. Placing a piece of paper in the area the plank sits, I can rub the paper with a pencil held fat and trace the edge of the plank previously laid.

I am only shaping planks at the bow, the rest are cut from sheet using a scalpel and steel rule.The curve is manipulated in these as I glue them in place with medium CA. I never use wood glue on veneer, the water content can cause all sorts of issues due to how thin the veneer is.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hello, I discovered this build log thanks to Marc (Hubac historian), and I will follow with great interest ! It's very exciting !
Kind regards,
Marc
Hallo @Nek0
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Sorry Nigel for being off topic for these birthday wishes

Fabulous work, Nigel. I really like the use of the white veneer in the cabins. I take it you are using JCL’s SP as your guide, there.

To what degree do you think you might partition the interior, along these lines?

View attachment 347265View attachment 347266

It would require some scale extrapolation of the period French pied to come up with a layout, but it’s doable. To what degree it may be desirable is another question.

One could go nuts with a full doll-house interior and the famous coffered ceiling in the great cabin:

View attachment 347270

But, I suppose the priority would lay with what could reasonably be seen from above, and through the exposed deck framing.

Fabulous work, Nigel. I really like the use of the white veneer in the cabins. I take it you are using JCL’s SP as your guide, there.

To what degree do you think you might partition the interior, along these lines?

It would require some scale extrapolation of the period French pied to come up with a layout, but it’s doable. To what degree it may be desirable is another question.

One could go nuts with a full doll-house interior and the famous coffered ceiling in the great cabin:

View attachment 347270

But, I suppose the priority would lay with what could reasonably be seen from above, and through the exposed deck framing.

View attachment 347270

Hi Hubac’s Historian,

I'm trying to find the book that includes these Le Soleil Royal cabin layout drawings. Are you able to tell me where they came from?

Best Regards
Shaun

Maybe I can help with this.....I have some books and a document which may help to configure the 1689 Soleil Royal's rear quarters.... unfortunately, the only drawing showing some decor is the one you already seen; another rough drawing of a side of the rebuilt St-Esprit exist; maybe that can give some indication on the interior's decor.......

There is also an interior side decor drawing made for the 1692 Royal Louis which may help with a cabin decor layout...
The second drawing also relates to the stern layout of the same ship; The rebuilt Soleil Royal was done during the very late 80's and very early 90's; the decor for the Royal Louis ( the second one) was one or two years after so there might have been some similarities in the style of decors.....

royallouis3 (2).jpg

royallouis2 (3).jpg

I am having a change from photo etch lunacy on Akagi and continuing on with SR's lower hull planking.Just a few pictures (not very good) after blowing the dust off in preparation as it occurred to me I had got quite a bit further than my last update

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_1372.jpgIMG_1373.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1376.jpg

I am having a change from photo etch lunacy on Akagi and continuing on with SR's lower hull planking.Just a few pictures (not very good) after blowing the dust off in preparation as it occurred to me I had got quite a bit further than my last update

Kind Regards

Nigel

View attachment 387101View attachment 387102View attachment 387103View attachment 387104
very impressive and clean. I sympathize with you in regards to photo etch lunacy. I am need deep in it now with my Bismarck. It is not moving as fast as I would like but such is life, I guess.

Back