Syren 1803 1:64 Model Shipways

INTERLUDE

While waiting for glue to dry this morning I turned to my books for some light reading on rigging.

“What are you doing?”, my wife asked.
”Reading about pendants”, I replied.

“Well, so you should be the amount of snow and ice you trailed over the floor this morning!”

“Pendants”, I called back, “not penance”.

Ok, back to the model ROTF

INTERLUDE

While waiting for glue to dry this morning I turned to my books for some light reading on rigging.

“What are you doing?”, my wife asked.
”Reading about pendants”, I replied.

“Well, so you should be the amount of snow and ice you trailed over the floor this morning!”

“Pendants”, I called back, “not penance”.

Ok, back to the model ROTF
This is really funny! Unfortunately, I will be never able to explain how a women's brain works... :p

Oh I assure you Jim, hers works better than mine :D
My wife is telling me often, that men can really think about "NOTHING" - momen never
Than she is saying that I make a face like an empty box

I will be never able to explain how a women's brain works... :p
The difference is, that a women´s brain IS working - ours sometimes NOT

A small update from the past few weeks. I have finished the bulwarks but not without some redo’s, especially for’d. I also changed the look of the transom, as discussed in the last few posts.

For the bulwarks I cut 1/8” x 1/16” alaskan yellow cedar strips from billets. The wood is a delight to work with instead of basswood. However, I wasn’t satisfied with my initial attempts at trying to line up all those 1/8” planks with the gun and sweep ports. Suffice to say I stripped and redid pieces where necessary. A few times.

Nevertheless, the planking is done and I started on the first very thin coat of Vallejo primer. For those of you who read the discussion, on a different thread, about ship paint colours you will know there are many opinions on what is correct in times gone by. The grey primer is, of course, not the finished colour for the Syren. I will be brush painting those inner bulwarks with what I now call a “Hue of Heinrich” :D - yes, red. This is the colour the designer used and recommended as did Heinrich and many other modellers.

493BBE96-167F-4BDA-A889-5F75860076D7.jpeg

I had previously left the transom piece aft as a blank canvas in line with the Syren manual. In other words no planking in that area. This was discussed in the last few posts. I knew I had insufficient depth in that area for adding 1/16” thick planks so I cut strips down to some insane thickness hoping I could work with them. There was no problem cutting to the correct 1/8” width. However, I had a heck of a time trying to curve those by now very thin planks longitudinally for the subtle curve of the transom. So I used a thin laminate of basswood, made a gently curved and sized plank template and then scribed simulated lines onto the laminate. Once stained it matches the upper hull strakes reasonably well. I’m still not happy with stained basswood, it’s blotchy, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. That area needs some cleanup.

So that’s all for now. I will be brush painting the red next then back to the books to read up on deck planking arrangements. Thanks for checking in on me, those likes and comments are always well appreciated and very encouraging.

Last edited:
A small update from the past few weeks. I have finished the bulwarks but not without some redo’s, especially for’d. I also changed the look of the transom, as discussed in the last few posts.

For the bulwarks I cut 1/8” x 1/16” alaskan yellow cedar strips from billets. The wood is a delight to work with instead of basswood. However, I wasn’t satisfied with my initial attempts at trying to line up all those 1/8” planks with the gun and sweep ports. Suffice to say I stripped and redid pieces where necessary. A few times.

Nevertheless, the planking is done and I started on the first very thin coat of Vallejo primer. For those of you who read the discussion, on a different thread, about ship paint colours you will know there are many opinions on what is correct in times gone by. The grey primer is, of course, not the finished colour for the Syren. I will be brush painting those inner bulwarks with what I now call a “Hue of Heinrich” :D - yes, red. This is the colour the designer, Chuck Passaro, used and recommended as did Heinrich and many other modellers.

View attachment 295890

I had previously left the transom piece aft as a blank canvas in line with the Syren manual. In other words no planking in that area. This was discussed in the last few posts. I knew I had insufficient depth in that area for adding 1/16” thick planks so I cut strips down to some insane thickness hoping I could work with them. There was no problem cutting to the correct 1/8” width. However, I had a heck of a time trying to curve those by now very thin planks longitudinally for the subtle curve of the transom. So I used a thin laminate of basswood, made a gently curved and sized plank template and then scribed simulated lines onto the laminate. Once stained it matches the upper hull strakes reasonably well. I’m still not happy with stained basswood, it’s blotchy, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. That area needs some cleanup.

So that’s all for now. I will be brush painting the red next then back to the books to read up on deck planking arrangements. Thanks for checking in on me, those likes and comments are always well appreciated and very encouraging.
nice job. where did you use the spokeshave on? That is a tool that I have always wanted. I am always looking to add to my tool collection.

That looks super Roger - and by no means it is a small feat what you have achieved. The bulwarks will look great when painted and will add another dimension to the ship. I am honored to have a second color named after me. When I painted the green on the rear bulwarks of the Haarlem, I also had that named after me! :D

nice job. where did you use the spokeshave on? That is a tool that I have always wanted. I am always looking to add to my tool collection.

Thanks Jack, much appreciated.

I used the miniature spokeshave to gradually reduce the height of the topmost bulwark planks, which I cut wider than initially required. Then slowly and carefully “shaved“ until the top of the bulwark matched the outer top strake of the hull. I found it easier and more accurate than using sanding sticks/blocks. If you approach it slowly the outer top strake acts as a guide until the bulwark top plank reaches the same height. However, I did finish off with some sanding where necessary.

The spokeshave is from Leevally: (edit: LeeValley not Leevally)

Last edited:
Thanks Jack, much appreciated.

I used the miniature spokeshave to gradually reduce the height of the topmost bulwark planks, which I cut wider than initially required. Then slowly and carefully “shaved“ until the top of the bulwark matched the outer top strake of the hull. I found it easier and more accurate than using sanding sticks/blocks. If you approach it slowly the outer top strake acts as a guide until the bulwark top plank reaches the same height. However, I did finish off with some sanding where necessary.

The spokeshave is from Leevally:

great! thanks.

That looks super Roger - and by no means it is a small feat what you have achieved. The bulwarks will look great when painted and will add another dimension to the ship. I am honored to have a second color named after me. When I painted the green on the rear bulwarks of the Haarlem, I also had that named after me! :D

Looking at the clock I see you are sleepwalking again Heinrich ;)

I'm looking forward to getting some paint on the ship, then it's the pear deck. Thanks for your input.

Nevertheless, the planking is done and I started on the first very thin coat of Vallejo primer. For those of you who read the discussion, on a different thread, about ship paint colours you will know there are many opinions on what is correct in times gone by. The grey primer is, of course, not the finished colour for the Syren. I will be brush painting those inner bulwarks with what I now call a “Hue of Heinrich” :D - yes, red. This is the colour the designer, Chuck Passaro, used and recommended as did Heinrich and many other modellers.

View attachment 295890

I think I need one of those tools!

Back