USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION FOR ALL YOU FANTASTIC BUILDERS (MASTERS ALL) I have asked this before only got one answere but would like to here how you guys do it, HOW DO AND WHEN DO APPLY A FINISH ON THE FRAMES THAT ARE SO VERY CLOSE TO EACH OTHE TALKING ABOUT TUNG OIL OR ANY OIL AND WIPE ON POLY. GOD BLESSW STAY SAFE Don

Maarten
Kudin chamfers the planks before fitting.The soldering iron is to remove excess PVA predominantly.Hard to work out whether he actually does burn the wood from the videos

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hello everyone! ;) Nigel is absolutely right.
That's why I came up with a soldering iron. This allows you to make a beautiful, clean, even line between the boards.

This method, in my opinion, may be suitable for 48 or more scales. For 72 and above - it will be excessive.

Pear is a solid tree; if you don’t stop in one place, you won’t burn it ... It is also necessary to chamfer the rail so that the soldering iron does not "jump" from the line.

I emphasize especially: historically, most likely - this is wrong! Visually, for the model (48, 36, 24 ...) - beautiful.

can any one come up wit an answer to the finishing question, how do you apply it when the spacing is so tight. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

For my frames I used a very narrow brush, I used varnish on mine, I should imagine if using oil you could do the same, and if the gap is very narrow you could always use some material soaked with varnish or oil,
Best regards John,

THAT IS ONE option, i will consider it it allows for work that needs to be done before finishing, the other one sugested was to do the oiling before the frames are installed do not like that one it stops any neccessary work that has to be done and could create a mess. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

I have used good old standard Q-Tips for applying Danish Oil on my builds, poor a small cap full out and dip the Q-Tip in and it holds just enough to do a small area without dripping all over the place.

After one or two uses, switch ends and repeat, you can toss them as they get too dirty or soaked and not much cost.

Ship Modeling is implementing also the reading and also understanding of drawings.
but sometimes it is also necessary to take a look at the drawings and to start to think...... and think twice or three times

Taking a look at the section with construction status several days ago:

In the deck planking over the hold is a hatch covered with some wooden planks -
I started to think, "why are there no similar openings in the other decks? would be much easier for stowing barrels etc.?"
68g.jpg

and I checked the Boudriot drawings (also the chinese ones) and realized, that some weeks ago I somehow switched off my brain......
In the following I marked the same hatches with the same colors
68h.jpg

68i.jpg

A short time period I wanted to leave it like it is, but I decided to cut and install hatches with a cover.....

This is quite and easy fix Uwe and you will be glad you did it rather than leaving as is.Looking at the drawings of JB,it looks like you need to add a joist that would run between the deck beams to carry the ledge.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hallo my friend,
thanks for visiting my building log of the Bonhomme Richard section
I tried already to fix it.....

first was cut out the planking - I made with my circular saw blade on my Proxxon
69g.jpg

after cleaning and preparation of the framing
69f.jpg

69e.jpg

69j.jpg

and the cover prepared by several planking strips - missing are the ring bolts on the edges
69d.jpg

69c.jpg

69l.jpg

now going further with the upper level
69ae.jpg

69h.jpg

69i.jpg

69ac.jpg

69ab.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest ...... to be continued ....

This is the time to hold your hand up with fingers back slightly and tap your head with heal of hand and say DUH, what was I thinking, or was I thinking? o_O

But you have figured out the issues and fixes it nicely! Thumbsup

She is looking ship shape now! :)

A question on final design look, will you leave deck boards staggered as shown, or trim for flat cut look?

Just wondering as I am also doing cross section of the ST and have others cross section kits to build and wondered at logic for either method.

Bedankt voor Uw e_mail. Ik vindt Uw werk prima.
Zelf ben Ik bezig aan Le Rochefort plannen G. Delacroix 1/36

google translation:
Thanks for your email. I think your work is fine.
I myself am working on Le Rochefort plans G. Delacroix 1/36

Last edited by a moderator:
Bedankt voor Uw e_mail. Ik vindt Uw werk prima.
Zelf ben Ik bezig aan Le Rochefort plannen G. Delacroix 1/36

google translation:
Thanks for your email. I think your work is fine.
I myself am working on Le Rochefort plans G. Delacroix 1/36
Hallo @Jempi and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Many Thanks for visiting my log and your comment.
The Rochefort is a very interesting project especially also a very good planset made by our member Gérard.
May I ask you to start a building log of your scratch build - would be very interesting to see your work and progress?

google translation:
Hallo @Jempi en een warm welkom hier aan boord van ons forum.
Hartelijk dank voor het bezoeken van mijn logboek en uw opmerking.
De Rochefort is een zeer interessant project, vooral ook een zeer goede planenset gemaakt door ons lid Gérard.
Mag ik u vragen om een bouwlogboek van uw scratch-build te starten - zou het erg interessant zijn om uw werk en voortgang te zien?

A question on final design look, will you leave deck boards staggered as shown, or trim for flat cut look?
Just wondering as I am also doing cross section of the ST and have others cross section kits to build and wondered at logic for either method.
Hallo Kurt,
interesting question, by accident I discussed the same yesterday evening with some modeling friends here in Vienna.

69aaa.jpg 69aba.jpg

Originally I was too lazy during construction to cut all planks to the absolute correct length, and my intention was from the beginning, to cut / sand them to the correct same length at the end of the section construction. In the meantime, I like the look, that the planks do not have the same length.
Honestly I do not know in moment, how I will decide at the end........ let us see - and I am open for comments and a discussion about the pros and cons

Great fix regarding the hatch issue UweThumbsup

Personally,I like the irregular ends to the planking,I thought it was intentional.My vote goes for leave as is.Because you have areas of planking missing,it looks right.Had you fully planked the decks,I would say trim in line.

Kind Regards

Nigel

My cross section is full plank because of deck design, so I have kept my all even and straight as I could.

Plan was to tip on side and sand on big sheet of sandpaper when done.

Kurt

Back