USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

Hello Tony,

Thx for the info but I would like to get your photo's: I solved it meanwhile.

An update on my part: today I finished the Transom as well as completed the Main Wale.
You will see that I (see stern) sanded the Main Wale flush with the Transom....
Everything has also been roughly sanded...in anticipation of the fine work.

I read in your previous message that you were going to figure out how to place the Main Wale.
I did it the following way:

The main wale consists of 7 strips (1/8" x 3/32"). I measured the distance on each bulkhead (sheet 3) and divided it by 7. This distance is the width of each strip on the respective bulkhead. So it's just a matter of sanding the strips to the correct width.
Special attention is needed for the Stern: here the strips are each 3/64" wide and should be bent slightly.
The same applies for the bow. I applied three strips
bulkhead F-K
bulkhead L-Stern
bulkhead A-F
1694621020281.png

Tony70.jpg

Tony71.jpg

Tony72.jpg

Tony74.jpg

Hi Marc,
You are doing a great job, I am following with a big interest.

I have been working on the same model, but mine is not a kit. I am building the model from scratch using the plans from this kit.
I have a question if you don't mind.

From what I see, when you did the main wale, you tapered the planks in the stern and bow. Is this necessary? I was thinking to start the tapering from the bottom of the main wale. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello Tony,

Thx for the info but I would like to get your photo's: I solved it meanwhile.

An update on my part: today I finished the Transom as well as completed the Main Wale.
You will see that I (see stern) sanded the Main Wale flush with the Transom....
Everything has also been roughly sanded...in anticipation of the fine work.

I read in your previous message that you were going to figure out how to place the Main Wale.
I did it the following way:

The main wale consists of 7 strips (1/8" x 3/32"). I measured the distance on each bulkhead (sheet 3) and divided it by 7. This distance is the width of each strip on the respective bulkhead. So it's just a matter of sanding the strips to the correct width.
Special attention is needed for the Stern: here the strips are each 3/64" wide and should be bent slightly.
The same applies for the bow. I applied three strips
bulkhead F-K
bulkhead L-Stern
bulkhead A-F
View attachment 394329

View attachment 394325

View attachment 394326

View attachment 394327

View attachment 394328
Hi Marc your whales look very good I hope mine will be the same.
Did you notice a variation in the width of the planks? mine went from +0.02 - +.005" with a rough finish.
IMG_20230913_064306.jpg
IMG_20230911_185340.jpg
This caused two problems one gaps between the plank and when I put 7 planks together to make up the whales it's 1/16" oversize.
In the end I decided the best way was to machine them all to 1/8". This was done using a Dremel in a router attachment.
IMG_20230913_064431.jpg
IMG_20230911_185441.jpg

I've marked the frames from the drawings and attached the first three rows.
IMG_20230913_171946.jpg
IMG_20230913_172114.jpg
IMG_20230913_171840.jpg

Tony.

Hi Marc,
You are doing a great job, I am following with a big interest.

I have been working on the same model, but mine is not a kit. I am building the model from scratch using the plans from this kit.
I have a question if you don't mind.

From what I see, when you did the main wale, you tapered the planks in the stern and bow. Is this necessary? I was thinking to start the tapering from the bottom of the main wale. Thanks.
You're model is fantastic I wish I had the skills to add the gundeck but that's a bit beyond me.
I uesd the planking plan from the drawings and tapered the whales both ends. I'm interested in seeing how you do yours.

Tony

You're model is fantastic I wish I had the skills to add the gundeck but that's a bit beyond me.
I uesd the planking plan from the drawings and tapered the whales both ends. I'm interested in seeing how you do yours.

Tony
Tony, thank you very much for your reply and compliment about my model. I am watching your build with great pleasure also. You are doing a great job too.

I have the same plans, but I don't see any instructions for tapering the main wale planks anywhere in the plans.

I have never tapered the wale planks in any of the models I built before and I have never seen anyone else tapering them either. Maybe this is something specific to this model

I was surprised to see Marc did this and I wanted to ask.

Last edited:
1694672905782.png1694672961632.png
Hello Tony,

Yes, I have also noticed the same discrepancies regarding the width and even thickness of the strips. Before gluing, I place the strips against a bubble level and then lightly sand the planks evenly....

Regarding Mustafa's question:
If you look at the plan of the Stern (or bow) you will see that they have divided the planks into different sections: the Main Wale 7 planks, and then "A" into 9 planks etc...
I therefore accurately measured the available space and determined that the Main Wale along the Stern side is only 7 * 1.3 mm or 9 mm (+- 3/8"). See red circle.
I then measured the distance for the next 9 planks which should be placed just under the counter and determined that the 9 planks do not need to be trimmed... (1/16 x 1/8" planks). So the best way to respect the layout? Am I wrong?

Tony, thank you very much for your reply and compliment about my model. I am watching your build with great pleasure also. You are doing a great job too.

I have the same plans, but I don't see any instructions for tapering the main wale planks anywhere in the plans.

I have never tapered the wale planks in any of the models I built before and I have never seen anyone else tapering them either. Maybe this is something specific to this model

I was surprised to see Marc did this and I wanted to ask.
There's a small amount of taper at the bow and a lot more at the stern.
IMG_20230914_165410.jpgIMG_20230914_165653.jpg
The unusual part of the whale that I haven't seen before is the way it's sanded down on the lower part, fore and aft.
IMG_20230914_165811.jpg

Tony.

Regarding Mustafa's question:
If you look at the plan of the Stern (or bow) you will see that they have divided the planks into different sections: the Main Wale 7 planks, and then "A" into 9 planks etc...
Yes, you are right, the tapering is necessary according to the plan. Apparently I didn't study the plan well.
This is the first time I've seen such a wale being made. Thanks.

Today I finished the A part on starboard side.
The stern went very wel, I hope you agree, but the bow was more difficult.
I sanded roughly the main wail planks down to 1/16" to fit the rabbet at the stem.....

View attachment 394898

View attachment 394899

View attachment 394900
Excellent results, I have just finished the whale on one side and ready to start the next one. Did you follow the lines from the drawings?. I marked up all the bulkheads from the drawings but had to make adjustments to get a smooth line.
Tony

Excellent results, I have just finished the whale on one side and ready to start the next one. Did you follow the lines from the drawings?. I marked up all the bulkheads from the drawings but had to make adjustments to get a smooth line.
Tony
Hello Tony,

I try to respect the overall dimensions as marked on the drawings. But indeed, I did small adjustments....but stay within the blue line: see pictures.
At the stern i kept the width of the strips and at the stern I tapered the strips to obtain the width as mentioned on the plan.

Tony87.jpg

Tony88.jpg

Tony, concerning above drawings: I would like to add something: As you probably already noticed the strips are not laser cut and there are deviations in the strips...
so impossible to copy exactly the dimensions of the plans.... ;)

Back