Hannah 1/48 - Lumberyard

Gventura

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

So here is where I run into my first true problem. How do I bend this 3mm ebony for use as the wales it seems pretty sturdy and I've read that bending ebony is rather difficult. Any suggestions? Just regular soaking and heat bending?

20200219_221824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

I was never really successful in bending ebony - therefor I use black hornbeam for the wales.
I guess 3mm would be a task..... but I hope that somebody has better experience - I am also interested in the possibilities

stuglo

? v.thin strips superimposed on each other. Personally I use a black indelible marker on something more flexible.

Gennaro

So here is where I run into my first true problem. How do I bend this 3mm ebony for use as the wales it seems pretty sturdy and I've read that bending ebony is rather difficult. Any suggestions? Just regular soaking and heat bending?

View attachment 133902
Harold Hahn used to apply ebony veneer over boxwood. I believe he described the procedure in his book "Ships of the American Revolution". Great work by the way, looks lovely.

Jimsky

Staff member

I never have success bending Ebony either, and also, as Uwe, use black 'Grab' (Russian for Hornbeam). I would love to learn to bend Ebony. Is it making a difference what Ebony to bend? There so many Ebony's...